Saturday, November 7, 2015

Week 10

   In theory, the so-called "American Dream" doesn't seem like an inherently bad concept. It's good to dream of success and strive for something better, right? The problem is that the "American Dream" is exclusive and only available to some people. Also, success is subjective. Just because society's view of success is making money, having a home of one's own, or achieving more than one's parents, doesn't mean that that is my view of success. Indeed, the definition of success or the American Dream has changed over the years. When the idea of the American Dream was first created, the dream was not only making money, but also "enabled everyone to develop their capacity", and to own your own home. It was an inherently consumerist ideal. In the 50's and 60's, it also meant getting a good education, as well as getting a good job - yet another example of consumerist materialism. Though the markers of the American Dream might have changed slightly, the consumerist mentality never faded, and still remains to this day. It's interesting that many of the Republican candidates focus on the idea of "making American great again" - related to both the idea of American exceptionalism and the American Dream, which are are fairly exclusive ideals. One of the Republican Party's recent problems is appealing to younger voters as well as minority voters. It seems backwards to me, then, that they would focus on these exclusive ideals that may not be as readily available to those populations.
   Something that is happening in our world right now that relates significantly to the idea of the "American Dream" is the current refugee crisis. I'm writing my final paper in my racism class about this crisis and the refugee process as well as the barriers to mental healthcare, and it still astonishes me that nearly every day I hear people saying that we shouldn't let more refugees into our country because "we don't know if they're terrorists" or something equally as inflammatory. This country was built on refugees, and yet somehow people think it's ok to turn our back on people who need our help. I honestly don't understand how people can think that way. But I suppose that this is the world we live in. Those who need to shout against helping refugees should do as they must. But those who also call themselves Christians – what exactly are they learning in their church? Did Jesus say "Love (and help) your neighbor as long as it poses no risk to you"? Remember “WWJD?” (“What Would Jesus Do?” – a slogan American Christians wore on t-shirts and bracelets several years ago.)? Would Jesus turn the refugees away and say it’s too risky to help them because some among them might be terrorists? I am not claiming to know, because Jesus never spoke in my ear. But then I’m not one of those who display Christian slogans or attend church regularly.
   I think it is so important when we speak and learn about history to
also view artifacts, including arts, poetry, and music, because that is how we can really see how this period in time affected people. I'm so glad that we have opportunities to do that in this class, and I found Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit" to be so powerfully moving, which points out to me that art like this doesn't lose meaning over time. I'm also interested to discuss Todesfuge by Celan. I have a German major (as well as Psychology) and we discussed this poem in one of my classes at length. I remember listening to a recording of Celan performing it, which is similarly powerful to "Strange Fruit". I sometimes have a hard time comprehending poetry as much as I think I should, but listening to Celan (in German), I don't even think you need to understand the language to comprehend the feelings and emotions during that period in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment